Planning and kitchen design
Kitchen renovations and new kitchen installations
Bathroom renovations and remodelling
Living space remodelling, including bedrooms, studies, lounges and TV Rooms
Interior design and soft furnishings
Interior building services including our own plumbing, electrical and tiling professionals
Commercial and other large scale renovations
1. SET YOUR PRIORITIES
If you’re considering several projects, rank them in order of importance, bearing in mind maintenance items should be given priority. You will want to fix your leaky roof before we lay a new wooden floor below.
2. KNOW WHAT IS POSSIBLE
and consider the strengths and weaknesses of your property. We are an experienced team and can assist with these decisions.
3. ESTABLISH BUDGET PARAMETERS
Can you afford to renovate, or NOT to renovate?! Any credible company should require budget parameters in order to prepare an accurate proposal. The biggest costs in the process are labour and since it entails more than simply redecorating, they require many hours of professional work.
4. CONSIDER YOU FINISHES
and the look you like, the textures you like. Investigate online through the various channels ideas that you like, so that we have a guideline within which to work.
5. ARE WE THE RIGHT PEOPLE FOR THE JOB?
Many small jobs can be done by your local handyman and at a great saving. The same applies to replacement components or small upgrades. If in doubt please call us and we can advise you on the best route to follow.
6. ENSURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE PAPERWORK
so that we are all working from the same page
7. DON’T WORRY ABOUT THE MESS!
It’s no fun at all living in a construction site, so first consideration with a major renovation should be to move out! Alternatively speak to us about confinement of the mess and what is and is not possible.
8. ONCE YOU HAVE GIVEN THE THUMBS UP
leave it to us and we’ll worry about the rest.
To simplify the view to your renovation, we at Black Stone work through a Four phase process: Our goal is to help to define and transform your space into that “dream space” within a realistic budget. Constant communication from the start of the project to the last finishing touches, keep you in control of the entire design and renovation process.
At the initial, free of charge consultation, we gain insight into the nature and scope of the project by discussing factors such as planning and design, themes, materials, timelines and budgetary parameters.
During this phase a proposal for the project is presented and thereafter sketches and samples to assist you in visualising the actual space. Revisions are prepared if necessary and adjustments made. On acceptance a retainer is payable to secure your preferred dates.
Once the project is accepted and approved, a contract that includes the costs, payment schedule, and all other related details is prepared and signed. The delivery and installation schedule is discussed and thereafter we coordinate with our project manager, builder and/or installers to carry out the renovation.
At Black Stone we are committed to getting the job done right. Upon completion we take the time required to ensure complete customer satisfaction and will make any finishing touches necessary. We do guarantee our integrity and attention to detail along with the ability to exceed our clients expectations.
Your kitchen is more than just a selection of cupboards with a top and doors. It is the most focal point of your home, We view your kitchen in its entirety and consider every aspect from design, your personal preferences in layout, where your plumbing and electrical points need to be through to how high your counter tops and how wide your floor spaces should be. Yes even this is not standard, just as people are not standard in height or size.
• Distances in the preparation and cooking area should be kept as short as possible to make your kitchen a pleasure to work in.
• Do you have an existing kitchen that you don’t like? What don’t you like about it?
• What items do you want to put the most money towards or what items or areas are you prepared to save on?
• Have you thought of food storage? This would depend on whether you shop daily, weekly or monthly.
• Lighting and ventilation must be high on your priority list. There are many lighting facets to a kitchen that can be incorporated into the design.
• An island or breakfast counter. Both are great to haves, but do you really have the space, is it going to be a functional part of your kitchen or an added seating area.
• Are there walls that could be removed to open your kitchen to create a greater flow of living space?
Whilst bathrooms are a very important room in anyone’s home, remodelling a bathroom can be quite a challenge as they are often the smallest spaces provided for, especially in a small house or apartment.
However we enjoy tackling these challenges, and take out of your hands the worry of out dated plumbing, poor wall conditions, humidity and confined spaces that were not built with todays’ focus on hygiene and comfort in mind. Bathrooms require special attention and true skill to ensure that after the renovation you are not faced with issues that have arisen before.
Our team of project managers have years of experience renovating bathrooms and a wealth of knowledge to assist you in deciding what is feasible and what is not. With any bathroom renovation goes the excitement of choosing your finishes, which all depend on your budget and taste.
• Your geyser: Consideration must be made regarding your hot water heating system (geyser). Is it new, are you keen on a new energy source such as solar water heating, or to save costs with a geyser control unit? Many systems are old and need replacement before the process of remodelling your bathroom. The last thing you would want is for your tank to burst once your bathroom is complete.
• Design: Do you really have the space for everything you would like to fit in your bathroom?
• Tiles: Choices of tile range from ceramics, to porcelain, polished porcelain, travertine, terra cotta and slate which can all be combined with an enormous choice of mosaics, listellos (borders) and cut patterns.
• Vanity units: Ranging from “off the shelf” units which include a basin to custom designed units manufactured from various products. These could be floor standing or floating (wall mounted).
• Sanitary ware and taps: The choice seems endless. We can point you in the right direction to make affordable choices of taps, mixers, baths, basins, toilets and accessories.
• Lighting and Extraction: Is your bathroom well ventilated and well lit? If not you should consider extraction and lighting upgrades to provide adequate light, day and night. Many bathrooms have the smallest window in the house or apartment.
We start by listening and handle all the details from concept to completion. We use our four phase process to ensure a smooth flow of work from start to finish.
At Black Stone we are a small business. Each of our projects is handled by one of our partners, and therefore gives you the absolute peace of mind that we see your project through to your entire satisfaction. We have a wealth of knowledge and experience and are very good at bringing your ideas to life.
More than 50% of our renovation and remodeling contracts take place in apartments and flats. We understand that each Body Corporate has its own “House Rules” and to these we abide. Any pre-authorisations, structural reports or design changes will be passed on to you to present to your Body Corporate for approval.
A question often asked, but it is not possible for us to give a generalised answer. We will work through the four phase process and the “cost” is based on the ultimate scope of work and finishes chosen. Obviously we will work within your budget from entry level to high end luxury.
Yes as long as we have not committed financially to secure labour or products. Cost implications may arise though should a certain amount of work have been already carried out and you decide to proceed differently.
Yes you can DIY! It is often the case that peoples budgets do not extend as far as they would like ! In these instances many of our clients have carried out either the demolishing or finishing themselves.
Yes you may purchase your own sink, taps, bath tubs, basin etc and hand them to us for installation. We do however make allowances for all these items in you proposal.
This depends again in the scope of work. A small bathroom or kitchen can take up to three weeks, once consideration has been made to stripping, plumbing, electrical, building, tiling, cabinetry, counter tops and other finishes.
Yes we can assist in choosing the right appliance and can make recommendations based on your budget.
Depending on the scope of the project our payment process is;
1. A retainer (5%) at the acceptance of proposal phase (phase two of our four phase process),
2. A deposit to provide working capital prior to commencement
3. Progression payments spread out over the duration of the project as detailed in the contract and balance on completion.
Renovation Contractors Southern Suburbs